Monday, July 6, 2009

An animal I totally identify with

I just read an interview with Claude Lanzmann about his autobiography, "Le lièvre de Patagonie". I don't think the book has been translated yet. The title means "The rabbit from Patagonia". Asked about the title, Lanzmann explained he once drove in Patagonia, when a giant rabbit appeared in front of his car and then disappeared between the bushes at the side of the road.

"That rabbit filled me with joy, seeing his courage to jump in front of the wheels with such strength, energy… it's an animal I totally identify with".


Here is Lanzmann on a visit to Egypt with Jean Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir (whom he had an affair with when she was 44 and he was 27). Lanzmann is tall, but not as tall as that giant pyramid behind him. And Simone de Beauvoir looks very chic. She must be wearing something out of Moschino's resort collection. Or is it Bottega Veneta? Here are more pictures from that 1967 journey.

No comments: